Sunday, May 11, 2014

Verbs Followed by Infinitives

While writing or speaking in English, we often use one verb after another to express an idea properly. In such cases, the second verb is either an infinitive or a gerund. It rests upon the first one whether it will take an infinitive or a gerund. Verbs which are always followed by infinitives are given below herewith examples---


Verbs
                                 
                                 Sentences

Afford
Being poor, the man can’t afford to educate his children.

Agree
Pondering over the matter, my father agreed to give me money.

Aim
He aims to leave the house tomorrow.

Allow
The doctor allowed me to come in.

Appear
He appears to have lost his wallet.

Arrange
The prince arranged to kill the king.

Ask
Tom asked me to run.

Attempt
Though he attempted to run a new business, he was undone.

Beg
I beg to differ with you on your proposal.

Bother
It’s very hot outside and I don’t bother to go to university today.

Care
Jack doesn’t care to do something for the dying patient.

Can’t bear
The mother could not bear to see his baby ruining.

Cease
Environment pollution will definitely cease us to exist on Earth.

Choose
He chose to help me in danger.

Claim
He claimed to have conquered the Mount Everest.

Condescend
I know he will never condescend to admit his fault.

Continue
After a little break, he continued to do his work assigned to him.

Consent
At last, he consented to join us on the journey.

Dare
I dare to speak to my father.

Decide
We have finally decided to leave the place.

Decline
My friend declined to accept my proposal.

Demand
Since he was very ill, he demanded to meet the doctor.

Deserve
The boy does not deserve to get the job.

Determine
He is determined to accept the challenge.

Enable
Patriotism enables a man to sacrifice his life for his country.

Endeavour
She endeavors to have a good result in the final exam.

Expect
I expect to finish the work by tomorrow.

Fail
He failed to win over me.

Forget
I really forgot to inform you about the matter.

Get
I get to visit Switzerland with my family.

Grow
Jim grew to love Della.

Guarantee
They guaranteed to replace the television if we find any problem.

Happen
I happened to meet Jean at the theatre.

Hesitate
The old man hesitated to enter into the room.

Hope
I hope to visit you next month.

Incline
He is inclined to adopt unfair means in the exam.

Intend
We intend to shift in a new place.

Invite
Tom invited all his friends to join the party.

Learn
He finally learnt to say ‘no’ to a friend.

Long
I long to go on world tour.

Manage
He managed to escape from the jail.

Mean
I didn’t understand what I meant to say.

Need
I need to sleep since I have a tiring day.

Neglect
I thought you would not neglect to carry out your job but I was wrong.
Offer
He offered to sell the mobile at a discount.

Order
The teacher ordered the student to leave the room.

Persuade
My friend persuaded me to eat another piece to pizza.

Plan
I have planned to leave his job.

Prepare
I am prepared to go wherever you take me to.

Pretend
He pretended to be innocent.

Proceed
When I entered, he proceeded to insult me.

Propose
I propose you to accompany me.

Promise
One of my friends promised me to lend as much as I need.

Request
I requested them to evacuate the place immediately.

Resolve
He resolved to kick his friend out of his house.

Refuse
He refused to tell what he did in the hall.

Regret
I regret to let you know that you are disqualified.

Remember
Remember to call me in case of any emergency.

Seek
He seeks to persuade me to approve the scheme.

Shudder
I shudder to think of the aftermath of failure in the exam.

Struggle
I struggled to come out of the hazard; yet it was in vain.

Seem
The story seems to be obscure to me.

Swear
I swear to do my best for you.

Tend
Jean tends to associate with bad boys.

Threaten
My boss threatened to fire me from my job.

Trouble
May I trouble you to lift my goods on my head?

Volunteer
He volunteered to assist me in the project.

Vow
He vowed to put an end of these vices.

Want
I suggested going visit Cox’s Bazar but he wanted to visit Saint Martin.

Wish
I wish to have a car of my own.

Yearn
He yearns to know what happened to his friends.

A Dialogue Between A Teacher And A Student On Drug Addiction

Student: May I come in, sir? Teacher: Yes, come in. Student: Thank you, sir. Teacher: How can I help you? Student: Actu...